The island of Lombok is a fascinating and stunning spot in the Indonesian archipelago that features everything you need for an awesome vacation. With beautiful beaches, epic volcanoes, remote villages and spectacular surf spots, Lombok will leave you with memories of a lifetime that you won’t be able to wait to share with family and friends. While Lombok is one of the popular islands in Indonesia, the infrastructure isn’t quite as advanced as islands like Bali, so you may have a little more difficulty discovering some of the best locations if you rely on public transport or the power of your own two feet! This is where hiring a scooter comes in handy! Read on to find out all you need to know about driving a scooter in Lombok.
Why Drive A Scooter In Lombok?
If you want to explore the intriguing island of Lombok to the fullest, you’re best off hiring a scooter so you can have full freedom and flexibility over your travels and where you want to go. While public transport and shuttle services are available in Lombok, they are often not the quickest option and may travel round the houses to pick up and drop off people along the way. Rather than sitting around in travel agents, cafés or on the side of the road for your transfer to arrive, you could be out there exploring with the wind in your hair as you discover Lombok by bike.
Outside of the major towns like Mataram, the roads in Lombok are generally fairly quiet, so you shouldn’t have too much trouble getting around, even if you don’t have that much experience riding a scooter. Once you’ve got to grips with the basics, you can grab a map and head off to explore.
Driving a scooter in Lombok gives you total control of when and where you want to travel, so you can hit up country roads, quaint villages and secluded coves with complete freedom.
Things To Think About When Hiring A Scooter In Lombok
The rules for hiring a scooter in Lombok are the same as they are the world over, so you’ll want to make sure you follow these basic tips to ensure you don’t have any issues:
- Find a reputable company (look up reviews online and from hotels/hostels first)
- Make sure check around for average prices so you know you’re not paying over the odds
- Give your scooter a proper check before you ride away – making sure you take plenty of pictures and/or videos so you know about any scratches or dents that are already on the bike
- Take down the number of the rental company as well as the address and return time
- Check that your insurance policy covers you for riding a scooter abroad
- Give the scooter a little drive before you set off so you know everything is working alright
You won’t really need to worry about figuring out how to fill up the petrol, as you can easily stop off on the side of the road throughout the island and someone will do it for you!
What To See When Exploring Lombok By Scooter
Having a scooter in Lombok allows you to get off-the-beaten-track, discovering unknown gems as well as popular spots like beaches, waterfalls and top towns. While you may want to have a vague idea of where you want to go in Lombok, you should also give yourself the option of discovering spots you hadn’t planned on visiting – and hey, you never know, you might just find your new favourite place!
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Monkey forests (Warung and Tereng Wilis)
- The beaches around Senggigi
- Pink beach(es)
- Waterfalls (Bayan, Tiu Kelep, Sendang Gile)
- Kuta coast